If you’ve read my blog, you know that I enjoy cooking but I don’t really bake. I’ve always enjoyed cooking more than baking. When you bake, measurements are important. Of course when you cook they are important, but if you alter the ingredients, they may not have a severe impact on the dish. Also, I’m not the best baker. During my time in the U.S, I was able to learn how to decorate a cake from my friend’s mom, Patty. She is a proud mom and owner of Patty Bakes Cakes. She has been baking for years and specializes in creating shaped cakes. Although we did not bake a cake from scratch, she gave me a lot of tips on how to decorate a cake.
Tips on how to decorate a cake
- 1. Before adding food coloring to the white icing, stir it with a toothpick. Then, add the food coloring to the icing.
- 2. To keep the icing creamy, add a little bit of milk and stir.
- 3. Brushing the cake with a silicone brush helps remove excess flakes.
- 4. Always try to evenly spread your icing when coating the cake.
- 5. When decorating the cake, don’t squeeze the icing bag too hard and don’t squeeze the middle of the bag. If you do, the icing will rise come out of the top of the bag.
- 6. Relax and have fun because it’s just a cake!
We made a chocolate cake topped with cinnamon sugar dip. It’s a fun take on chips and dip! I was happy with the results, but I don’t think I’ll be baking a cake anytime soon.
Follow Patty on Facebook @Patty Bakes Cakes.